The City of St. Louis Sheriff's Office accepts applications for permits to carry concealed weapons. Walk-ins are accepted during regular business hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
You Must apply in person at the Sheriff's Office with all required documents, information and fees.
Personal Information Required
To fill out an application you will need to provide the following information:
- Address residing in the City of St. Louis
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Telephone Number
- Proof of City of St. Louis residency
Eligibility and Affirmation
(1) Is at least twenty-one years of age, is a citizen of the United States and either:
(a) Has assumed residency in this state; and the City of St. Louis
(b) Is a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Missouri, or the spouse of such member of the military;
(2) Is at least twenty-one years of age, or is at least eighteen years of age and a member of the United States Armed Forces or honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces, and is a citizen of the United States and either:
(a) Has assumed residency in this state and a resident of the City of St. Louis
(b) Is a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Missouri; and resides in the City of St. Louis
(c) The spouse of such member of the military stationed in Missouri and twenty-one years of age; residing in the City of St. Louis
(3) Has not pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere or been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year under the laws of any state or of the United States other than a crime classified as a misdemeanor under the laws of any state and punishable by a term of imprisonment of one year or less that does not involve an explosive weapon, firearm, firearm silencer or gas gun;
(4) Has not been convicted of, pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to one or more misdemeanor offenses involving crimes of violence within a five-year period immediately preceding application for a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement or if the applicant has not been convicted of two or more misdemeanor offenses involving driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or the possession or abuse of a controlled substance within a five-year period immediately preceding application for a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement;
(5) Is not a fugitive from justice or currently charged in an information or indictment with the commission of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year under the laws of any state of the United States other than a crime classified as a misdemeanor under the laws of any state and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less that does not involve an explosive weapon, firearm, firearm silencer, or gas gun;
(6) Has not been discharged under dishonorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces;
(7) Has not engaged in a pattern of behavior, documented in public records, that causes the sheriff to have a reasonable belief that the applicant presents a danger to himself or others;
(8) Is not adjudged mentally incompetent at the time of application or for five years prior to application, or has not been committed to a mental health facility, as defined in section 632.005, or a similar institution located in another state following a hearing at which the defendant was represented by counsel or a representative;
(9) Submits a completed application for a certificate of qualification as described in subsection 3 of this section;
(10) Submits an affidavit attesting that the applicant complies with the concealed carry safety training requirement pursuant to subsections 1 and 2 of section 571.111;
(11) Is not the respondent of a valid full order of protection which is still in effect.
(12) Is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under RSMO 571.070 (convicted felon, habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition, or is currently mentally incompetent.)
571.111. 1. An applicant for a concealed carry endorsement shall demonstrate knowledge of firearms safety training. This requirement shall be fully satisfied if the applicant for a concealed carry endorsement:
(1)Submits a photocopy of a certificate of firearms safety training course completion, as defined in subsection 2 of this section, signed by a qualified firearms safety
(2)Submits a photocopy of a certificate that shows the applicant completed a firearms safety course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or
(3)Is a qualified firearms safety instructor as defined in subsection 5 of this section; or
(4)Submits proof that the applicant currently holds any type of valid peace officer license issued under the requirements of or
(5)Submits proof that the applicant is currently allowed to carry firearms in accordance with the certification requirements of section; or
(6)Submits proof that the applicant is currently certified as any class of corrections officer by the Missouri department of corrections and has passed at least one eight-hour firearms training course, approved by the director of the Missouri department of corrections under the authority granted to him or her by, that includes instruction on the justifiable use of force as prescribed in chapter 563; or
(7)Submits a photocopy of a certificate of firearms safety training course completion that was issued on August 27, 2011, or earlier so long as the certificate met the requirements of subsection 2 of this section that were in effect on the date it was issued.
What to ExpectOnce your application is approved, you will be notified via mail. Do NOT call inquiring about your application status. Your Approval or Denial letter will be stamped on the outside of the envelope "FOR CONFIDENTIAL ADDRESSEE ONLY".
10 N. Tucker Blvd - 8th Floor
Civil Courts Building
St. Louis, Missouri 63101
Monday - Friday (except Holidays) 8:30 am - 5:00 pm