Arlington area's public park space is located on its perimeter rather than in the center, which is primarily residential. First park acquired adjacent to the area was Penrose at Kingshighway and Penrose Avenue. It was purchased by the City in 1910 and covers an area of nearly fifty acres. It is bisected by the Terminal Railroad tracks and did not become developed until the late twenties when the Kingshighway viaduct was completed across the railroad. Penrose Park was a key part of the Kingshighway Boulevard project linking various sections of North St. Louis. An unusual feature is a bicycle track in its western portion.
Sherman Park's site was originally within the Cote Brilliante Suburb, platted in 1853. Later, it was the campus of Christian Brothers College, until that school was destroyed by fire in 1916. During the next year, it was acquired by the City for park purposes at a cost of nearly $200,000. Remaining portions of the school structure were later converted into a community center and library. In 1959, the new David P. Wohl Community and Recreation Center was completed within the park at 1515 North Kingshighway. It is located on a sloping site and was built at a cost of about $900,000 from plans by Russell, Mullgardt, Schwarz and Van Hoefen. In the western portion of the Arlington area is the Barrett Brothers Park at Goodfellow and St. Louis Avenue. It has an area of 13.16 acres and was acquired by the City in 1947.