Arlington


Residential, Commercial, and Industrial

In its eastern portion between Kingshighway and Union, the residential aspect of the Arlington area is a mixture of single family dwellings and two family flats. Concentrations of four family flats are located on Palm and Lexington, west of Norwood Avenue and near Norwood from Ashland to Terry. Between Union and Goodfellow, northward from King Drive to St. Louis Avenue, housing is primarily single family with a general mixture of two family flats. Four family flats and multiple dwellings are evident closer to Union and along Clara Avenue. North of St. Louis Avenue a large concentration of flats and apartments is located west of Belt between Ashland and Natural Bridge, also along St. Louis and Labadie Avenues from Clara to Goodfellow.

Single family dwellings predominate east of Belt and north of St. Louis Avenue. An apartment subdivision is situated on Goodfellow north of the Terminal Railroad belt line. An older single family area is to be found along Greer and Elmbank Avenues near Hamilton. North of Natural Bridge and west of Goodfellow is an area of single family dwellings developed in the 1920's and 1930's.

Commercial uses are principally located along King Drive and Union Boulevard, with a mixture of light industry on King Drive west of Union. Some commercial properties are along the south side of Natural Bridge westwardly from Kingshighway to the City limits, mixed intermittently with industrial and multiple dwellings. Some commercial is to be found on St. Louis Avenue and Goodfellow Boulevard. Principal commercial district is along the former Easton Avenue in the City portion of the Wellston shopping area. Some of this also is found for a few blocks northward on Hodiamont.

In the late 19th century, an important industry in the vicinity was the large plant of the Hydraulic Press Brick Company at the southwest corner of Natural Bridge Road and Kingshighway. Industrial activity in the northwestern industrial district owes its development to the construction of the Terminal Railroad belt line about 1900. The convenience of rail access combined with plenty of adjacent vacant land resulted in the establishment of many industrial plants in the area. Among these were the Chevrolet and Fisher Body plants of General Motors, the Pullman Company, Rexall Drug Company, Maloney Electric and many others.

Ethnically, the Arlington area has undergone a considerable change since the 1950's. Predominantly white at the time, the area began to attract blacks increasingly after 1960. At the present time, the area's population is almost one hundred percent black. This has resulted in a consequent change in the life-style of the area's people and relocation of commercial and social activities within it.