The area now occupied by Calvary Cemetery was at one time the country estate of James B. Clay, a son of Henry Clay, the famous Kentucky statesman. James Clay was induced to move there by his friend and schoolmate, James Bissell. A three story brick mansion was built for Clay's wife, Susan, as a wedding gift from her father in 1850, along with more than 300 acres of land. The Clays did not reside there for long and in 1853 the tract and house were sold to Archbishop Kenrick and was used as his summer home. The cemetery was subsequently laid out in the adjoining farm land. The house was wrecked about 1950.
Adjoining Calvary is Bellefontaine Cemetery, which was established in 1849 as a non-sectarian burial ground. Its tract was originally part of the farm of Edward Hempstead and was later the property of Luther M. Kennett and William M. McPherson. Both of these cemeteries contain the graves of many distinguished St. Louisans. Friedens United Church of Christ Cemetery at 8915 North Broadway was founded in 1862 by the then Friedens German Evangelical Church. It is located partly within the City near the intersection of North Broadway and Riverview Drive. An old cemetery in Baden is the former Bethlehem Lutheran burial ground on Bittner Street near the Norfolk and Western Railroad.