Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church was the first church to be established in Baden. It was formed in the early 1860's by Rev. Casper Doebbner of Holy Trinity Church in Bremen. Prior to this the German residents of Baden had attended mass at a private chapel of the Carmelite Convent in Calvary Cemetery, or journeyed to Holy Trinity for confessions. In 1863, a two acre wooded site was purchased from Fred Kraft and the church was literally built by the hands of the parishioners. They hauled rock and sand for the foundation and made the bricks by hand at the site. Construction progressed rapidly, enabling the church to be dedicated on May 3, 1864. The mixed congregation included Irish and French families, as well as the Germans. A small frame school building was erected in 1866, followed by a new building in 1871. Eventually, the old church became inadequate and a temporary structure was used during demolition of the old building. Before erection of the present church was begun, the level of the site was graded three feet lower. The new church was dedicated on May 23, 1909. It is in the Gothic style and is notable for the high elevation of its sanctuary, from which a long flight of marble steps descends to the communion rail on the floor of the nave. A parish hall was built in 1927 and three years later a new school was completed. The church is located at 8115 Church Road near Baden Avenue.
In 1872, the Irish faction of the parish split with the Germans of Holy Cross Church and formed a new church known as Our Lady of Mount Carmel. This created an unusual situation of having two Catholic churches within the same parish limits. The new church was located on the east side of Church Road in the 8200 block. It was a brick Gothic structure, 50 x 75 feet, and stood on a half acre lot. The building was dedicated on May 4, 1873 and in September 1874 the parochial school was organized. It was conducted in a 35 by 50 foot brick building near the church. In 1912 an old public school building at Church Road and Bittner Street was purchased for the school. This was used until 1935 when a new school was built on Annetta Avenue at Veronica. The present church building was completed in July 1939 at 8747 Veronica Avenue.
Earliest Protestant church in Baden is Ebenezer Lutheran which was organized in 1869 by eight families who worshipped in a log house at what is now the southeast corner of McLaran Avenue and Riverview Boulevard (originally Tracy Road). By 1871, they completed a small brick church in the 8400 block of Church Road. Until the school was built in 1885 classes were held in the church. Increased growth led to erection of a larger church and a portable school at Theobald Avenue and Church Road in 1923. In 1940 a new school was erected on Church Road and Veronica Avenue, with a second floor and an assembly hall added in 1955.
Next Protestant denomination to organize in Baden were the Presbyterians in 1882. Services were initially held in a frame house at 7936 North Broadway and later in a nearby dry goods store. A frame church was erected at 8449 Halls Ferry Road in 1904, with the title of Baden Presbyterian Church. About 1914, the congregation merged with the Winsor Methodists. On March 20, 1896, the St. Stephen's Evangelical Church was organized at a meeting in Seaver's Hall at 8102 North Broadway. A neighborhood canvass revealed fifty persons to be interested in the venture, which was encouraged by Rev. Haas of St. James Church. Services continued at the hall until a church was dedicated at Halls Ferry Road and Gimblin Avenue on December 20, 1896. Soon after that, a school building was completed and in 1924 the Sunday school auditorium was rebuilt. The church changed its denominational name in 1934 when the Evangelical and Reformed churches merged. In 1938, the present church at 8500 Halls Ferry Road was completed with an educational annex added in 1961.
Winsor Methodist Church was founded in 1901 at a meeting at the home of William S. Winsor at 838 McLaran Avenue. The new church was subsequently named in honor of his parents. After meeting at various locations, including a tent on the newly acquired church site in 1902, the new church was dedicated at McLaran Avenue and Church Road in 1905.
Originally a three story building, including a sanctuary, classrooms and parsonage, the structure has been extensively remodeled. During a remodeling in 1914, the Methodists were invited to share the church of the Baden Presbyterians. As a result, the two groups decided to merge and return to Winsor Church at that time. In 1950, Epworth Methodist Church joined with Winsor under the present combined name. The present church at 1525 Orchid Avenue was consecrated on July 17, 1956.
At 8375 North Broadway is a building which has housed several religious groups beginning before 1905 as the Baden C.M.E. Church. After that, until 1912, it was occupied by the Corinthian Baptists. Still later, up to 1920 the building was used by Bagnell Methodist. Since 1925, it has been the home of the Church of God, a non-denominational group, which grew out of the Baden Gospel Mission. Prince of Peace Episcopal Church owes its existence to Sister Miriam of the Episcopalian Good Shepherd Sisterhood who came to Baden after the closing of Bishop Robertson Hall School in 1915. After organizing a mission which met in vacant store rooms, the former Presbyterian chapel at 8449 Halls Ferry Road was given for her use. In September 1916, the congregation was organized as the Mission of the Prince of Peace. The chapel was soon purchased and through the efforts of Sister Miriam, the church became an active Episcopalian congregation and is still situated at its original location.
Baden Baptist Church was founded in 1941 and worshipped at the Paul Revere Masonic Temple until 1950 when it moved into a church building at 8629 Halls Ferry Road. Additions were made to the structure in 1956 and 1961.
Image - Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church
Image - Wayside Shrine at front of Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church