Baden-Riverview


Railraods

Railroads played an important part in Baden's development. The first one to be built through the area was the Wabash in 1855, when it was known as the North Missouri Railroad. Originally, it ran from Second and North Market Streets in St. Louis to the bank of the Missouri River opposite St. Charles. Two trains were operated daily in each direction carrying freight and passengers on week days and passengers only on Sundays. The station for Baden was situated at Bittner Street and Switzer Avenue, a short distance west of Broadway, while the suburban Inglesyde station was located at the present Park Lane. A regular commuter train to St. Charles, via Ferguson, was operated until 1933. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas (Katy) Railroad uses the Burlington-Northern tracks through the Hall Street area east of Baden. A large Katy yard is at the foot of Gimblin Street. Formerly, a Terminal Railroad track left the Burlington line just north of St. Cyr Road and ran westward to join the Wabash tracks in Ferguson.