Before the advent of the regular fire department, fire alarms were sounded by church bells and bucket brigades formed lines from the nearest pump to the fire. Baden's first engine house was built about 1897 just north of the location of the present fire station, which was erected in 1909. In 1919, the fire company was fully motorized replacing the colorful horse drawn fire apparatus. Greatest fire to occur in the area happened when the St. Louis Car Company shops burned for several days in October 1920.
Baden's first regular police station was a branch of the old Mounted District in Forest Park. It was located at 8316 North Broadway and was opened in 1899. This substation was closed in 1928 at which time it was leased for a public library branch.