Commercial activity was rather slow developing within the area. Stores were first located at street corners and by 1875 a grocery, drug store and a bakery had been established in the section north of the present Benton Park. By 1890, commercial uses began to line the principal streets which had horse car lines operating along them, such as Jefferson and Gravois Avenues. Later, after the area became densely built up, stores were located on less important streets as well as on the main thoroughfares.
Image - The old Lemp Brewery at Cherokee and 13th