Oldest Roman Catholic parish in the Cabanne area is that of St. Rose of Lima, which can trace its origin back to the early 1870's. Rev. Adrian Van Hulst, S.J., then pastor of St. Anne's Church in Normandy, built a small wooden chapel at what is now Hamilton and Minerva Avenues in 1872. It was intended to serve the small number of Catholics then residing west of Grand Avenue. A small school was maintained there although the church did not have a regular pastor until 1883, when the chaplain of Loretto Convent attended the mission. In June, 1884, Rev. James J. McGlynn was appointed to the pastorale of St. Rose's parish, which had only 35 families at that time. Father McGlynn decided to relocate the church in a more central location and a site at the corner of Etzel and Goodfellow Avenues was chosen. A church was dedicated there on June 21, 1885, followed by a parochial school in 1893. This was replaced by a larger school in 1900, which could accommodate 700 pupils. The present church on the northwest corner of Maple and Goodfellow Avenues was dedicated by Archbishop Glennon September 18, 1910. It was designed in the Florentine style of Romanesque architecture in Bedford stone, with a spire on one corner and a suppressed tower on the other. It was built at a cost of $100,000. The parochial school at 5808 Etzel Avenue was erected in 1922 and closed in 1977. The first religious structure built upon the present site of St. Barbara's Catholic Church at Hamilton and Minerva Avenues, was the aforementioned chapel erected there in 1872. It served as a forerunner for St. Rose of Lima Church until 1885 when that mission was relocated. In 1893, Rev. John Schramm was delegated to organize a church in the area for German Catholics. The old chapel was purchased from the Jesuits for $8,000 and first services for St. Barbara's parish were held there on June 4, 1893. Classes for the parochial school began in a small frame building behind the church in September 1893, and by 1900 the parish contained about 150 families.
The parish experienced its greatest growth as a result of the World's Fair of 1904, after which its population increased quite rapidly. The old church proved to be inadequate and plans were made for the present church structure with cornerstone laying ceremonies being held in May, 1906. The new church, which is reminiscent of St. Bartholomew's Church in Frankfurt, Germany, was blessed on July 4, 1907. The first wing of a new school was completed in 1908 and the building was finished in 1912. Four years later the Sisters' convent was built, followed in 1917 by the parish hall. During the 1920's, the choir was added to the church and in 1952 the present school structure was opened.
Rev. John J. Dillon was commissioned to locate a Catholic church site in the northwestern part of the City in April, 1893. This resulted in the formation of the parish of St. Mark the Evangelist and the erection of a temporary church building at Page Boulevard and Academy Avenue. It was blessed by the Chancellor of the Archdiocese on May 14, 1893. The parish experienced considerable growth during the long pastorale of Rev. Peter O'Rourke, which began in 1899. The present Gothic style church in Bedford stone was dedicated in November, 1902. The present parochial school building at 1327 Academy Avenue was opened in September, 1909.
One of the earliest Protestant churches to be organized in the, then, new Cabanne district was the West Presbyterian. First services of that denomination were held in the home of Dr. E. M. Nelson in the fall of 1886. A movement was begun in April, 1887 to organize a Union Sunday school for persons of various Protestant faiths in the community. Its initial sessions were held at the home of W. J. Dixon at Clemens and Hamilton Avenues starting in May, 1887, with representatives of five denominations present. A building to house the Sunday school was erected at the northeast corner of Maple and Hamilton Avenues, and was known as Conclave Hall. The school remained intact until the fall of 1888 when its Episcopalian constituents moved to their new Church of the Ascension. A committee of the St. Louis Presbytery organized the West Presbyterian Church on November 22, 1888. Its Sunday school met at the Hall and was joined by most members of the Union group. First pastor of the new church was Dr. Francis L. Ferguson, who had installed its first edifice on the present site at Maple and Maryville Avenues in January, 1891. The church was enlarged in 1898 and, as the membership grew, plans were made for a new building. The present Sunday school unit was completed in 1911 and, at that time, the church building was extended east to Maryville Avenue and the tower was added. A serious catastrophe occurred on April 2, 1916, when the entire auditorium was destroyed by fire. Rebuilding began immediately and the present large edifice was dedicated on September 30, 1917. An extensive missionary program was developed by West Church resulting in the founding of the Sutter Avenue, Kingeland, and Nelson Memorial churches. In 1933, West Church was the largest Presbyterian congregation in the City and had three choirs for various services and is today a strong voice in its neighborhood. Grace Presbyterian Church was originally located at 1425 Blackstone Avenue before 1904, and by 1926, had moved to its present location at the corner of Clara and Ridge Avenues. The Kingshighway Presbyterian Church was organized in 1897, as the Raymond Place Church at 5006 Cabanne Avenue. A new stone church building was erected there in 1908, at which time the name of Kingshighway Church was adopted. Since 1953, this building has been occupied by the Wayman Temple A.M.E. Church.
The Protestant Episcopal Church of the Ascension at Cates and Goodfellow Avenues was formed by Episcopalians from the former Union Sunday School in the fall of 1888. It has been demolished and its gymnasium is now a day-care center, at its original location at 850 Goodfellow Avenue.
Formation of an Episcopal church for the Raymond Place and Cote Brilliante districts was the object of discussion at meetings held at homes of Episcopalians in the area in the spring of 1895. Finally, through the efforts of Rev. A.T. Sharpe of St. James Church, after approval by Bishop Tuttle, a mission was opened in Hart's Hall at 5443 Easton Avenue on November 10, 1895. A frame church for the mission, named for St. Philip, was built at the northeast corner of Union Boulevard and Maple Avenue in May, 1896. Erection of a permanent church structure was proposed in 1905 and A. Blair Ridington, an architect and member of the church, prepared plans for the new building. Between 1906 and 1909, several proposals to merge St. Philips's with other Episcopal churches were made but were dropped for various reasons. Continuing efforts were made to clear the church department and to secure funds for the new building. The frame church was partially destroyed by fire in January, 1911, and in March of that year, Bishop Tuttle announced a gift of $10,000 to the church. A stone building in the English village style was completed early in 1912 at a cost of $40,000. It was known as the Church of St. Philip the Apostle until June, 1930, when St. Luke's and St. Timothy's missions were merged with it. The new name of the Church of the Holy Apostles was then adopted. In 1932, a stone parish hall was erected, replacing a brick Sunday school building that was constructed in 1914. The church has since merged with the Church of the Ascension and the building is presently occupied by the Berean Seventh Day Adventists.
Oldest Baptist church in the area was Immanuel at 5850 Cates Avenue, near Hamilton, which was organized in the late 1880's. It occupied a building there for many years and is now located at 10360 Old Olive Street Road in St. Louis County. The old building was later the home of the Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church, which has moved to 8325 Scudder Avenue in Kinloch.
West Park Baptist Church was located at 5944 Easton Avenue from before 1904 until after 1926, when it relocated in a new building at 5988 Wells Avenue at Hodiamont. This structure is now occupied by the Bostick Temple Church of God in Christ.
Union Avenue Christian Church is an outgrowth of the old Central Christian Church, originally formed in 1871. It first met in a hall at 14th and St. Charles Streets until 1875 when it occupied a church at 23rd and Washington. In 1887, another move was made to a new building on Finney Avenue near Grand. In 1892, Rev. O. A. Bartholomew resigned as pastor of the First Christian Church to form the Mount Cabanne Christian Church at Kingshighway and Morgan (now Enright Avenue). In 1902, this church combined with the Central Church, whose property on Finney Avenue had been sold. They jointly used the Mount Cabanne building until 1904, when they occupied a chapel on the present site at the southwest corner of Enright Avenue and Union Boulevard. At that time, the name of Union Avenue Christian Church was adopted. Due to a depression in 1907, the church floated a bond issue to complete its new building, in an unusual method of church financing for that time. The Italian Romanesque style edifice, designed by architect Albert B. Groves, was completed in 1908. Its walls are built of alternate rows of smooth and rough cut stone. The former Mount Cabanne Church building on Kingshighway and Enright, was occupied by the United Hebrew Congregation from 1904 to 1926 and by a Greek Orthodox Church until 1955, and has since been demolished.
The Hamilton Avenue Christian Church at 1260 Hamilton Avenue, at Julian, was founded about 1900 as the West End Church at Hamilton and Plymouth Avenues. In 1925, it occupied the Julian Avenue building and the name was changed to Hamilton Avenue Church. That building is now used by the St. Paul's A.M.E. Church.
Pilgrim Congregational Church was originally located in a large stone edifice at the southeast corner of Washington and Ewing Avenues. At the turn of the century, it became apparent that a new "west end" location would soon be necessary. A site at the southeast corner of Kensington and Union Avenues was purchased, but construction of a new church was postponed until after the World's Fair. The imposing pink granite structure was dedicated on December 1, 1907. It was designed in a modified Romanesque style by Mauran, Russell, and Garden. The adjoining Danforth Chapel was designed by Jamieson and Spearl in the Tudor Gothic style. It is built of granite matching the church and was completed in 1941. Pilgrim Church decided in 1953 to remain at its present location instead of making another westward move. It was one of the first St. Louis churches to welcome an integrated membership.
The Eden-Immanuel United Church of Christ formerly at 5630 Page Boulevard was originally located at Hamilton and Bartmer Avenues before 1904. The Page Boulevard building is now occupied by the Christ Southern Mission Baptist Church.
B'nai Amoona congregation, then located at Garrison and Lucas Avenues, purchased a small building at Vernon and Academy in 1916, for the convenience of West End members. A synagogue was dedicated on that site in April, 1919, and two years later, an adjoining school building was erected. On September 1, 1950, the congregation dedicated its new synagogue at 524 Trinity Avenue in University City.
Early in 1892, when the area west of Union and south of Page was in the course of residential development, a meeting was held at the home of Charles Cunliff at 5634 Cates Avenue to discuss organization of a Methodist church in the vicinity. As a result, the Maple Avenue M.E. Church was founded on April 17, 1892. First services were held in a hall in the Arcade Building at Arcade Avenue and the Suburban tracks with 16 charter members. A site was purchased on the southeast corner of Maple and Belt Avenues and a chapel was dedicated there on October 20, 1895. After eight years of growth, the need for a larger building became apparent and the church edifice was dedicated on May 10, 1903. Said to have been the only one in the City designed in the SpanishRomanesque style, the church was built of Bedford stone with a Spanish tile roof. It featured a large dome encircled by arched windows, with an interior of graceful arches and fine colored windows. Unfortunately, the Maple Avenue Church building was destroyed by fire in 1957 and now its site is occupied by a modern home.
Cabanne Methodist Church has been located at 5760 Bartmer Avenue since before 1904 and is continuing to function as a spiritual force for its denomination in the Cabanne area.
Union Memorial Methodist Church at 1141 Belt Avenue is the oldest continuing congregation of blacks in the City. Its present building, in the modern style, was erected in 1961.
St. Paul's A.M.E. Church, which now occupies the former Hamilton Avenue Christian Church building at Hamilton and Julian Avenues, originally occupied a church at Eleventh Street and Lucas Avenue in 1872. In 1883, it was the largest colored Methodist congregation in the City with 1200 communicants.
The Mount Calvary Lutheran Church at 1444 Union Boulevard at Wells Avenue, was built in 1913 and is presently the only church of its denomination which is located within the Cabanne area.
On December 29, 1907, the Unitarian Church of the Messiah dedicated its new building on the northeast corner of Union Boulevard and Enright Avenue. This structure was the fourth home for the church which was organized in 1835. It moved from its previous location, at Locust Street and Garrison Avenue, because of the increasing commercial aspect of that vicinity. Designed in a modified Gothic style, the church on the Union Boulevard site was the work of architect John Lawrence Mauran, a prominent Unitarian layman. The brick church, which is English in concept, has a typically traditional interior. In 1946, the Church of the Messiah merged with the Church of the Unity and its old building is presently occupied by Parrish Temple C.M.E. Church.
The Fourth Church of Christ Scientist at 5569 Page Boulevard, which is adjacent to the former campus of the Principia Academy, was erected about 1914.
Image - St. Rose of Lima roman Catholic Church at Goodfellow and Maple
Image - Maple Avenue Methodist Church at Maple and Belt Avenues
Image - Union Avenue Christian Church at Union and Enright
Image - Pilgrim Congregational Church and Union and Kensington