Cabanne


Institutions

The Girls' Home at 5501 Enright Avenue was founded in 1853 by women of the City's Protestant churches seeking a solution to the problem of children begging on the streets. At one time, a school and home for destitute girls and boys, the institution later became known simply as a girls' industrial home. After occupying several buildings, the home located at 19th and Morgan Streets in 1859 and moved to its present building in 1900.