Streets which form the northern and southern boundaries of the Cabanne area were originally principal roads from St. Louis to the west. Delmar was Bonhomme Road and later a part of the Olive Street plank road into the County. On the northern side was Easton Avenue, named after St. Louis' first postmaster, Rufus Easton. Historically, it was the road to St. Charles and the eastern section of the old Santa Fe Trail. Within the City, it has been renamed in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Another prominent east-west street is Page Boulevard named for former Mayor Daniel D. Page. Bartmer Avenue is named for Henry W. Bartmer, an early land holder. Mrs. Eliza Clemens, widow of James Clemens, named streets within her subdivision after herself and her two daughters, Catherine Cates and Alice Von Versen. The latter street was renamed Enright after one of the first St. Louis soldiers killed in World War I. Etzel Avenue is named for Susan R. Etzel in land subdivided near Hodiamont Avenue. That street is named for Emanuel de Hodiamont, a one-time owner of land where the Hodiamont streetcar right-ofway ran in later years. Hamilton and Rowan Avenues are named for former Missouri Governor Hamilton Rowan Gamble. Maple Avenue was formerly La Barge Avenue and the northern boundary of the Papin tract. Cabanne Avenue commemorates Dr. John S. Cabanne, grandson of Jean Pierre Cabanne, and the subdivider of Cabanne Place. Goodfellow Avenue runs through land, north of King Drive, formerly owned by John Goodfellow. Union Boulevard was so-named in Civil War days by Governor Gamble and other Northern sympathizers. It was originally called Second Kingshighway. The name Kingshighway is an English translation of the French Route de Roi, a name given by the French to principal roads bounding commonfields, in this case, the western limit of the Prairie des Noyers. Kensington Avenue is the namesake of Kensington Gardens, an amusement park on the old Narrow Gauge Railroad. John W. Burd was a land owner who is responsible for several street names in the area in addition to his own. Clara and Florence (now Belt) were named for his daughters and Arlington was named for his Arlington Grove subdivision, Rosedale Avenue is a reminder of the Clemens family's Rosedale subdivision, north of Delmar. Belt Avenue had its beginning in Henry Belt's subdivision, northward from Delmar Boulevard. During the 1870's and early 1880's, the race track of the St. Louis Jockey and Trotting Club was located in the tract bounded by Kingshighway and Page, Union and Easton Avenues. In the program for street improvements under the renewal project, new cur-de-sacs were built on streets in the conference area. These help create an atmosphere similar to private places.
Image - Harlan Court Apartment on Delmar west of Beverly Place, 1917