By 1849, several of the town's prominent citizens had arrived including Henry T. Blow, Wilson Primm, Roswell Field, Louis Picot and Alexander Lyle. The census of 1850 showed Carondelet to have a population of 1,265, of whom 28 were classed as slaves. At that time Broadway did not run directly north of Elwood Street because of a steep hill, traffic was forced to go westward for a block before proceeding to the north. Southeast of Elwood and Broadway were about half a dozen houses, the easternmost being the old DeLore house built by the town's founder. Before 1860 it was razed to make way for the Iron Mountain Railroad. At Bowen Street and Broadway was the town hall and its meeting tree and on the west were a few houses north of the hill.
This hill, which had the church and convent at its top, extended eastward toward the river, forcing traffic on Broadway to make an easterly detour. This part of the hill was graded down to provide fill for construction of the railroad. Also on the hill, south of Holly Hills and east of Pennsylvania, stood the castle of Louis Picot with its high tower providing a landmark for river men. The house was abandoned and razed after the Civil War. Further south on Broadway, at its southwest corner of Haven Street, was a three story building with a meeting hall on its top floor. Residences were scattered southwardly on Pennsylvania Avenue and Broadway, with stor,es also located on the latter's frontage.
In this area were the stone houses built by the German immigrant settlers in the 1840's. Largest house in the southern end of the town in 1850 was that of Delphi Carlin, it was located on the south side of Davis Street a block east of Broadway. A desirable location for large homes was "upon the hill" along Michigan Avenue, where, near Iron Street was the home of Judge Primm. Nearby was the home of Bernhard Poepping, last Mayor of Carondelet. In wooded country near the present intersection of Virginia and Haven was the Henry T. Blow mansion and to its west was the Alexander Lyle home, in what is now Carondelet Park.