Carondelet's principal residential area is located on the high ground west of Broadway. Single family dwellings predominate, with a minor mixture of two family flats. Most of the units are owner occupied but maintenance is about average. "On the hill", west of Michigan Avenue are large brick residences in what was probably the elite section of Carondelet during the 1890's. There is a smaller amount of residential uses east of Broadway, interspersed among the prevalent industries. These houses are usually small, quite old and not well maintained. A few outstanding exceptions can be found at some intersections of that section.
A few survivors remain of the early French houses in Carondelet. One example is a stone two level house at Primm and Reilly Streets, others to be found are "double houses" in the 6100 block of Michigan Avenue. German immigrants of the 1840's and 1850's built stone row houses in Steinstown and some of the best of these can be seen on Steins Street, west of Pennsylvania Avenue. Brick houses were built later on Schirmer Street and other streets in the south part of Carondelet. These, like the earlier stone houses, are built in a characteristic German manner, close to the sidewalk and generally one and a half story in height.
Two early Carondelet landmarks are located at Michigan Avenue and Krauss Street. On the northwest corner is a home built by Confederate General John S. Bowen, while the northeast corner is the location of the Dr. Ashbel Webster house built in the early 1850's. The home of another prominent early resident is the Jacob Stein house at 7600 Reilly Street, where the German immigrant agent resided before the Civil War. On Hurck Street may be found houses with examples of gingerbread French verandahs. At 5801 Minnesota Avenue is a home styled in American Victorian Gothic architecture with battered vertical siding and jigsaw carpentry gable ends.
At 122 East Davis Street is an old house that was built by John Krauss in 1842. An outstanding example of an antebellum country house is the Alexander Lacey Lyle house in Carondelet Park. Lyle was a young Virginian who came to the St. Louis area in the 1820's and made his fortune in the construction business. His estate covered a large part of what is now Carondelet Park and Lyle erected his New England style mansion near its center about 1850. After Lyle's death in 1874, the house was used as a park keeper's residence for many years and is now a recreational center for senior citizens.