Principal roads in the area ran in a north-south direction, with Broadway being the town's Main Street, in St. Louis it was known first as the road to Carondelet and later as Carondelet Avenue. Southwardly from Carondelet it was called the road to Herculaneum. Virginia Avenue running toward Carondelet from Meramec Street was known as Stringtown Road. Ivory Avenue originated as a short diagonal route into Carondelet used by farmers from south and west of the River des Peres. Streets within the town, as laid out in Eiler's Survey of 1832 were identified by letters, such as A Street, on the east-west thoroughfares from north and south.
This alphabetical system was later given names as can still be seen in Bates, Caldwell (now Bellerive), Dover, Elwood, Fillmore and others down to Upton Street. West of Broadway, the north-south streets had numbered names until after annexation when they were given names of states, being extensions of streets so named in the St. Louis Common. In 1843, Jacob Stein, a German immigrant, acquired a lot at the southeast corner of Stein and Reilly Streets. He was so impressed by opportunities in Carondelet that he persuaded many other Germans to come there. Some of them later became prominent in the life of the community unity and gave their names to streets in what came to be known as "Stein's Town", south of old Vide Poche. These names exist today on Krauss, Schirmer, Koeln, Nagel, Espenschied and other streets in the area. The small stone houses that can still be seen in this section of Carondelet are reminscent of these German settlers; many of whom started small factories which spread in later years to create a highly industrialized section of the town.