West of Union Boulevard and north of the park, the land was part of a Spanish grant made to Madame Marie Louise Papin in 1776, in answer to her request for a 'farm on the banks of the River des Peres. After the Louisiana Purchase, her holding was surveyed and numbered as Survey 378, containing 2720 acres. South of this, most of Forest Park laid within a nine square mile tract known as Gratiot League Square. East of Kingshighway, the present area of the Central West End comprised a series of long narrow surveys which originally had been French farm tracts in the Cul-de-Sac and Grande Prairie Common Fields. By the middle of the nineteenth century most of this land was held by Peter Lindell, William McPherson and the estate of Nathaniel Pendleton Taylor.
Survey 378 and Gratiot League Square had been platted by that time into a series of long, east-west strips each about a 1000 feet in width. Within the area now contained in Forest Park, these strips were owned by Pierre Chouteau, Jr., Jules De Mun, John C. Cabanne, Thomas K. Skinker, William Forsyth and Alban H.- Glasby. In 1854, Glasby attempted to plat the town of Hockessin in his acreage along what is now the west side of Kingshighway, southward from Laclede Avenue, a move which apparently was unsuccessful. Cabanne was also the owner of a dairy farm which covered the area now bounded by Lindell, Kingshighway, Delmar and Union. Between the present Lindell and Delmar, west of Union, the principal land holders were Forsyth, James C. Kingsbury and Larkin Deaver. During the 1870's, these large tracts were subdivided and those east of Kingshighway were platted for residential uses by the early eighties.