The site of the Maryland Gardens apartments on the east side of Taylor Avenue between Maryland and Pershing Avenues was formerly the location of the Academy of the Sacred Heart-Barat Hall, more familiarly known as "City House." This institution moved here in 1893 from its old location at Broadway and Convent Street. The Italian Renaissance style chapel was the work of architects Hellmuth and Hellmuth. The school was closed in 1968, and the buildings were razed later in the same year, despite neighborhood efforts to keep it open. Rosati-Kain High School for girls at 4389 Lindell was Lindell was the first archdiocesan high school in the City. Beginning as two schools in 1911, which merged in 1912, the school moved from Grand and Lucas in 19919. Initially occupying the old Joseph M. Hayes mansion on its present site, the house was moved to 216 North Newstead, and the present school building was erected about 1920.
An English Tudor design school structure on Lake Avenue between Waterman and Westminister is now occupied by a private educational institution known as the New City School. The building, which was built in 1902 for Mary Institute, was occupied by that school until 1930, when it moved to Ladue. It was later the home of the Luthern High School. Another new school is Crossroads, which is located at 4532 Lindell. It moved there from Laclede Town several years ago. It is privately operated.
The oldest public school in the Central West End are is Marquette, at 4015 McPherson Avenue, which was built in 1894, with additions in 1895 and 1899, from designs by A. H. Kirchner and William B. Ittner. Eugene Field School at 4466 Olive Street, was also designed by Ittner in 1898-1900; Rock Spring School at 3974 Sarpy Avenue, also the work of Ittner, was completed in 1899, with an addition in 1906. It replaced an earlier school which dated from about 1870, before the Rock Spring area became a part of the City of St. Louis. Two neighboring schools, the Stix at 226 South Euclid Avenue, and the Elias Michael School for Crippled Children at 4568 Forest Park Avenue, were designed by R. M. Milligan in 1922 and 1924 respectively. Stix School is a successful example of the new magnet school concept.