Urban development in the Central West End began at its eastern end during the 1880's. Lindell was the first street to experience housing construction in the area of Peter Lindell's Second Addition which had been platted in 1865, but had to await the City's westward expansion for its build up. Lindell Boulevard reached its zenith as a street of fine homes by the nineties when it was lined with large mansions as far west as Kingshighway. Development of the areas to the north and south of Lindell began in the early 1890's and it was during this period that the private places in the area were established.
The largest of these were Portland and Westmoreland, which were destined to eclipse Vandeventer Place as the best of their kind. They were platted in 1888, by Julius Pitzman, for the Forest Park Addition on the old Cabanne dairy farm acreage. To their north as far as Delmar, such as Dorris Place, Delmar Boulevard Addition and Oakland Place were laid by 1892. The success of the private places in the area led to the opening of other such streets as Lenox and Hortense Places by the turn of the century. A large share of the credit for the enhancement of this part of the City is due to the advent of the World's Fair. This ultimately led to the urbanizing of the area as far west as DeBaliviere Avenue, the Fair's main entrance.
Kingsbury Place was platted by Pitzman in 1902, to adjoin Washington Terrace on the south. Most of this development west of Union was in the form of large houses in these private places. Construction of the many apartment buildings such as those on Pershing, Waterman and other streets did not take place until after the Fair. One of the last sections to be built was along the south side of Pershing from Union to DeBaliviere, where most of the apartments were erected between 1915 and 19925. The character of Lindell Boulevard started to change during the 19920's when the large mansions began to give way to high-rise apartment buildings, east from Kingshighway. Further east, the change occurred in the form of commercial uses and rooming houses in the section from Boyle to Vandeventer.
Major religious and institutional uses such as the New Cathedral and the hospital complex on South Kingshighway, had a profound impact upon the Central West End areas in their vicinity, creating needs for auxiliary uses nearby.