Christian Hospital at 4411 North Newstead Avenue, later known as the Christian Medical Center, was founded in 1903 by Mrs. Fannie H. S. Ayars, who was affiliated with the First Christian Church. The hospital was organized to provide medical care for residents of a Mother's and Babies' Home founded by Mrs. Ayars four years previously. These institutions were both located in an old brick residence at 2821 Lawton Avenue. After meeting many early problems, the hospital moved to larger quarters at 2949 North Euclid in 1907 and moved again in 1910 to the old Centenary Hospital building at 2945 Lawton. In 1914, the institution occupied its own building for the first time, in a former sanitarium at 3540 North Grand Boulevard. The building on North Newstead was completed in 1924, with an addition erected in 1962. In 1968, in line with the movement of urban decentralization, a branch hospital, Christian Northwest, was opened in St. Louis County. Another county branch, Christian Northeast, was opened in 1976. The name of the building on North Newstead Avenue was changed in 1974. It is now owned by the Central Medical Center which plans to rehabilitate it as an acute care hospital.
Another institution of the Christian Church on the north side is the St. Louis Christian Home at 3033 North Euclid Avenue, which was founded in 1887 as the Christian Orphans Home at 1335 Bayard Avenue. It was located at 915 Aubert Avenue in 1900 and moved to its present location in 1907. The home was enlarged in 1923 and adopted its present name in 1946.
Faith Hospital was opened at 3300 North Kingshighway in 1950 and was enlarged in 1956. In 1969, a move was made to 12634 Olive Street Road in St. Louis County and until 1973 both institutions were jointly operated. Since that time, the building on Kingshighway has been known as the Central Medical Center.
Originally founded in 1877 in a house near 17th and Chouteau, the German-General Protestant Orphans Home was founded by a group of German-Americans to fulfill the need for such a home for their families. In the late 1880s, the home relocated at a rural site on Natural Bridge Road near Newstead. It occupied this site, at 4447 Natural Bridge, until 1962 when the institution removed to its present location at 12685 Olive Street Road in Creve Coeur.
After a career of nearly 35 years as a north side Roman Catholic secondary educational institution, De Andreis High School closed its doors early in 1976 because of declining enrollment. It began in 1942 as North Side Catholic High School for boys in conjunction with Laboure girl's high school in the latter's building at 5421 Thekla Avenue. The boy's school moved into the newly completed De Andreis 4275 Clarence Avenue, in 1947. Operated by the Brothers of Mary, the school was named for Rev. Felix De Andreis, an early St. Louis Catholic educator. In 1952, both De Andreis and Laboure became co-educational and remained so until 1965 when they reverted to their former singular status.
Another recently closed north St. Louis institution was the North Side Y.M.C.A. which occupied a large building on the northeast corner of Grand Boulevard and Sullivan Avenue since 1919. Prior to that, it was located at 1909 St. Louis Avenue since the turn of the century. Nearby was the Mount Moriah Masonic Hall, a structure in the Egyptian style of architecture, that was erected in 1903. It is now occupied by the Martin's Temple Church of God in Christ. Wesley House Community Center has been located at 4507 Lee Avenue since 1951.
Image - Central Medical Center
Image - Grounds of the St. Louis Christian Home for Children
Image - Cornice detail of former Mount Moriah Masonic Hall
Image - Former home of the Northside Y.M.C.A.