As in many other neighborhoods, streets in the Fairground area memorialize early land owners. Prominent among such streets are Marcus and Shreve Avenues. The former is named after Marcus A. Wolff, who owned property in Cote Brilliante suburb. Henry Miller Shreve, the well-known riverman and Steamboat estate in this section. His neighbor, Walker R. Carter, is similarly honored with a street name. The Fairground area is bisected by its principal thoroughfare, Natural Bridge Avenue, named for a stone arch over nearby Rocky Branch Creek. Some of the original early French landholders are commemorated by present day street names. Among them are Hebert Street, named after the Widow Hebert, whose husband was killed in the Indian attack on St. Louis in 1780.
Others are streets named for Sylvester Labadie and Auguste Dodier. Later land owners of English, Irish and German descent are represented by streets named after William L. Glasgow, Clement B. Penrose, Peter L. Vandeventer, Elizabeth Hull and James B. Clay. Clay, the son of the statesman, Henry Clay, named two streets in his subdivision after Ashland, the family home in Kentucky, and Lexington, his home town. John and Gano Avenues were titled with the given names of J. G. Bryan, whose surname at one time graced a part of Prairie Avenue. Around Fairground Park is Kossuth Avenue, for the Hungarian patriot and Fair Avenue, so-called as the western edge of the old fairgrounds. Athlone Avenue is named for the ancestral Irish home of the father of Colonel John O'Fallon and nearby Holly and Red Bud Avenues also indicate his floral preference. In the area to the east of Fairground Park, streets such as Barrett, Bailey and Peck commemorate early landholders in that section.
Image - Natural Bridge Avenue from Grand before widening
Image - A view on a pleasant residential street in Fairground area