Business uses were generally found on the ground floors of buildings along the main thoroughfares, such as Salisbury Street and Broadway. Both sides of Salisbury, from Eleventh to Blair and beyond that facing the park, until recently, possessed a remarkably complete grouping of late nineteenth century shop buildings. Recent demolition have unfortunately destroyed this grouping effect. Most of the remaining buildings have dwelling units on the upper floors. Typical of these is the building at 2016 Salisbury built before 1875. It is a three story structure with a cast iron front on the ground floor containing windows held in a lightly-scaled, wooden frame work. Another cast iron front on the ground floor can be seen at 2027 Salisbury on a three story mansard roofed building with a metal bay window on the second floor.
A strong social and civic influence in the area has been the North St. Louis Turnverein organized in 1870. In its first three years the gymnasts used apparatus set up among stalls in Maguire's Market, on the west side of Broadway between Salisbury and Bremen. They bought their present site at Twentieth and Salisbury and occupied their first building, designed by H. W. Kirchner in 1879. A three story addition on Twentieth Street was completed in 1893 followed by the gymnasium in 1898. These buildings are well preserved and fit well into the texture of the neighborhood.
A commercial institution of strength and long standing in the area is the Bremen Bank, which dates back to 1868. At that time no financial facilities we're available and a group of business and professional men of the community met to organize the Bremen Savings Bank. Soon, subscriptions of $100,000 were obtained to purchase stock in the-bank, which received its charter on October 2, 1868. Growth and expansion of business and industry in Bremen and North St. Louis caused the enterprise, located at 3618 North Broadway, to prosper. In 1888 it moved into larger quarters on the northeast corner of Broadway and Mallinckrodt Street, at which time the present name was adopted.
The bank's building, now in use, was completed in 1928 from plans by architects Wedemeyer and Nelson. It is in the classic Grecian style of architecture and is built of tooled Bedford stone. The Front of the structure is dominated by four large fluted columns rising 27 feet. Approach to the portico is by way of a flight of Missouri red granite steps leading to an entrance interior done in St. Genevieve marble. The bank's interior is treated in Tavernella marble and bronze with walnut wood trim. It is located on the southwest corner of Broadway and Mallinckrodt.
A semi-public building, worthy of mention, is the Fifth District police station at Penrose and North Nineteenth. It is a one story multi-colored brick building, built as a P.W.A. project in 1938, designed by Albert A. Osburg, chief architect of the City's Board of Public Service. The buiIding is an example of Art Deco design, which, while uncommon in the Hyde Park area, relates well to neighboring buildings.
Image - Breman Bank Building
Image - North St. Louis Turnverein
Image - Commercial buildings on Salisbury Street
Image - Fifth District Police Station