Earliest industrial activity in the Bremen area was that of logging and lumber and numerous saw mills were scattered along the riverfront and in the town. This timber was floated down the Mississippi in the form of log rafts from Wisconsin and Minnesota forests. Principally white pine, it was cut and prepared for building purposes in the Bremen mills, and then stored in extensive lumber yards nearby. Another large user of lumber in Bremen were barrel makers such as the Union Cooperage Company, founded in 1862. Several furniture manufactures were also located in Bremen at that time.
The Union Stock Yards was opened in 1874 at the foot of Bremen Avenue and cattle being herded there through the streets of Bremen was a common sight in those days. These yards have since been closed.
A neighborhood fixture for many years was the Hyde Park Brewery, which was founded in 1876 and was sold to the St. Louis Brewing Association in 1889. The plant at 3607 North Florissant was a major unit in the Association until prohibition. After repeal in 1933, the plant was acquired by independent operators, who sold it in 1948 to the Griesedieck-Western Brewery Company of Belleville, Illinois. That firm became a unit of the Carling Company in 1953, who produced Hyde Park beer at the North Florissant plant until 1958.
Mallinckrodt Chemical Works was founded in 1867 by three sons of pioneer settlement Emil Mallinckrodt; Gustav, Edward and Otto. Their first venture was production of agricultural chemicals and they later branched out into pharmaceutical lines and food and industrial bulk chemicals. Two of the founding brothers died a few years after the firm was established, so that its successful development can be attributed to Edward Mallinckrodt, Sr. In 1882, the company was incorporated and established a plant in New Jersey.
By 1904, the company was producing 400 chemicals and sales had reached $3,000,000 annually. Research led to eminence for Mallinckrodt in X-ray media and fungicides. Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. succeeded his father at the company helm in 1928 and guided it until his death in 1967.
World War II brought about a long association for Mallinckrodt in the field of atomic energy, when the firm produced the uranium compounds needed for development of the atomic bomb. A new company plant on Destrehan Street was the sole producer of uranium and related products in this country from 1946 to 1952, when it was supplemented by a large Mallinckrodt atomic energy commission plant at Weldon Spring, Missouri. Since 1967, the company has had a declining role in atomic production because of development of an enormous stockpile of atomic fuel and is constantly engaged in expansion into new challenging chemical fields.
Among the industrial buildings, the Mallinckrodt maintenance building on the north side of Mallinckrodt Street between Second Street and Broadway is worthy of architectural mention.
Image - Old Union stockyards, foot of Bremen Avenue
Image - Mallinckrodt Chemical Company plant
Image - Mississippi Glass Company Plant in 1880's