About 1816, quite a migration of Virginians and Kentuckians arrived at St. Louis and many were attracted to land north of the town. This fertile ground could be purchased for a few dollars per acre and many of these pioneers settled there. Accessibility to St. Louis was an important factor for the marketing of their produce and the main roadway was Bellefontaine Road, also called the Great Trail. Originally a military road laid out in 1804 to reach Fort Bellefontaine, it was a continuation of Main Street in St. Louis, later becoming known as Broadway.
This route was charted more precisely in 1811 by William H. Christy and Alexander McNair. Christy was a founder of the town of North St. Louis in 1816 and McNair became Missouri's first governor in 1821. In the Bremen area, Bellefontaine Road followed the course of future Eleventh Street, departing from Broadway at Branch Street and rejoining it at Bissell Street. Further north, it ran through the hills of what later became Bellefontaine and Calvary Cemetaries and thence through Baden to the fort on the banks of the Missouri River.