During the late 1850's, several large tracts west and north of Bremen were subdivided. These included lands owned by John O'Fallon, Theodore LaBeaume, Clement B. Penrose, Joseph B. Wilkinson and Louis Bissell. All but Wilkinson are commemorated by street names. After 1860, the larger tracts were further broken up into subdivisions ranging from half blocks to several blocks in size. This activity continued until about 1880.
These aubdivisions were usually platted with sixty foot wide streets in a gird pattern, the blocks consisting of lots with frontages of 25 or 30 feet and average depths of about 125 feet to rear alleys. As practical necessities, the alleys contained privies, coa1 sheds and ash pits for refuse. Not an actual pit, but rather an above-ground box of brick or concrete about six Łeet square with four foot walls; ash pits were a backyard fixture in the St. Louis of coal burning days.
Subdivision platting in those days apparently lacked liaison, resulting in irregularities in street continuity characterized by jogs and dead ends.
Image - Single family dwellings on Agnes Street