North St. Louis was the destination of the earliest successful public transit line in the city. This was a horse drawn omnibus operated by Erastus Wells in 1845. It began at the National Hotel at Third and Market Streets and proceeded northward along Third and Broadway to the ferry landing at Bissell's Point. The next development in local transit was the introduction of horse car railways in 1859, affording a faster and smoother ride than the omnibuses. The first horse car line to Bremen-Hyde Park was the St. Louis Railway on North Broadway from East Grand Avenue southward to the downtown area and South St. Louis. Its offices and barns were at Broadway and Salisbury Street. General William T. Sherman was its president in 1861. This line was cabled in the late 1880's and electrified about 1896, it later became a part of the Broadway car line.
The Bellefontaine Railway was completed through the area in 1866, running north from downtown over Eleventh, Hebert and Tenth Streets to a terminus at Penrose. In the nineties it became the Benton-Bellefontaine branch of the Union Depot Railway and, after the transit consolidation of 1899, it became the northern division of the Bellefontaine car line.
In 1865, the Union Railway was incorporated and completed a line to Hyde Park in the same year. It approached the park from the south over Thirteenth (now Nineteenth) Street to Salisbury. It was extended northwestward to the Kossuth Avenue gate of the Fairgrounds in 1871, proceeding via Salisbury, Twenty-fifth and Kossuth. After electrification it became the Lee Avenue street car line. About 1924 the St. Louis Bus Company, a subsidiary of the United Railways, began operation of a bus line on Salisbury Street from McKinley Bridge to Grand and Natural Bridge. This was the forerunner of today's bus lines which replaced street cars in the late 1950's.