The Art Museum is a successor to the St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts, founded in 1879 as a department of Washington University. Formerly located at 19th and Locust Streets, it occupied its present building in 1906. Designed to be the only permanent building at the Fair because of insurance requirements for its valuable exhibits, it was the work of architect Cass Gilbert. Built of Bedford limestone and Roman brick in the Corinthian style, it is said to have been inspired by the Baths of Caracalla in ancient Rome. Importance of the Museum to the City was evidenced by action of citizens in securing passage of state legislation authorizing the levying of a tax for its support. The City's voters approved this idea in 1907 to make the Museum the first of its kind in the nation to be publicly supported. It has since been developed into one of the foremost collections of fine arts in the United States and since 1971, has been under control of a Metropolitan District, which also includes the Zoo and the Museum of Science and Natural History. An extensive program of remodeling and expansion is currently underway.
Missouri Historical Society, which occupies the Jefferson Memorial building, was originally organized in 1866. Formerly occupying an old mansion at 16th and Locust Streets, the Society moved into the present building when it was completed in 1913. It is located at what was the main entrance to the World's Fair.
Image - St. Louis Art Museum
Image - Missouri Historical Society, Jefferson Memorial Building