Two railroads are closely connected with the history of the Kingsbury area, the Wabash and the Rock Island. The Wabash was originally constructed after the Civil War as the St. Louis, Kansas City and Northern Railroad, which was acquired by the Wabash system in 1879. Its tracks were depressed through the area at about the time the River des Peres was put underground. Lowering of the railroad eliminated previously dangerous grade crossings at Union, DeBaliviere, Laurel, Hamilton and Delmar. That long time convenient facility for West End travelers, the Delmar Station, was built at that time. This railroad is now a part of the Norfolk and Western. The St. Louis line of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad, popularly called the Rock Island, originally ran out of Union Station over Wabash tracks to Forsyth junction, just west of DeBaliviere Avenue, where a small station was located. It then ran due west on what is now the right-of-way of the Forest Park Expressway, north of Catlin tract, and out through Clayton and west to Union, Missouri. At the time of the World's Fair, it was called the St. Louis, Kansas City and Colorado Railway. Its tracks west of DeBaliviere were abandoned at the time of the Wabash grade separations and were originally constructed in 1887.