Industrial uses were established along the northern fringe of the area adjacent to Mill Creek Valley as early as 1860. Schnaider's Brewery at Mississippi and Chouteau Avenues was the principal industry in this section in the 1870's. The Phoenix Brewery at 18th and Lafayette was somewhat removed from the industrial center of the time. More recently, the major industry was the large shoe factory at Hickory and Mississippi, now used for other industries. After entrenchment along Chouteau Avenue, industrial uses gradually moved southward along Jefferson Avenue to Lafayette absorbing old residential and commercial structures. Warehousing and wholesaling uses are now prominent along Chouteau Avenue with an admixture of trucking activity.