An institution that had a long identification with the Lafayette Square area was the Union Club, which was a family organization of South Slde residents. Its club building, on the southeast corner of Lafayette and Jefferson avenues, was originally erected in 1892 and destroyed in the 1896 tornado. It was rebuilt as an even larger structure that served as a neighborhood landmark until 1955. The club disbanded in 1913 but the building was used for various social functions for many years. Construction of the St. Louis (German) House across Lafayette Avenue in 1928 hastened the demise of the Union Club since both were used for similar purposes.
Image - The former St. Louis (German) House on Lafayette Avenue