Residentially, in addition to the large town houses surrounding the park and those located on nearby former private streets, the northeastern quadrant of the area is dominated by Victorian multiple dwellings. North of Park Avenue and west of Benton Place red brick row houses and smaller single family homes reflect the social status of its original inhabitants. South of the park streets such as Nicholson and Waverly Places has been truncated due to the right-of-way of Interstate Highway 44, with the loss of several Victorian houses. A group of apartment houses of 1920 vintage was built at Lafayette Avenue and Waverly Place, on the site of the Charles Gibson mansion. West of the park are Whittemore and Albion Places, developed in the 1880's.