Foresight of the civic fathers in 1836 is responsible for the 120 foot wide streets which surround Lafayette Park on all sides. Adjacent streets were built with an adequate 60 foot width providing easy access for the light traffic of the nineteenth century. However, as in other urban locations, present day traffic has overwhelmed the area. Lafayette and Park avenues became the major east-west thoroughfares, but the completion of Interstate 44 has materially reduced their traffic volume. It is hoped that the ultimate construction of the long-awaited North-South Distributor Highway will lessen the present volume on 18th Street and Mississippi Avenue.