Horse car lines were built out to Lafayette Park soon after it began to be developed before the Civil War. Service began on the People's Railway in 1859, on a line which began at Fourth and Morgan Streets and ran out Chouteau Avenue to Second Carondelet Avenue to Park Avenue and terminated at Park and Mississippi avenues. After the war, this company put its Compton Hill line in operation, running south on Mississippi from Park to Lafayette and thence west to Grand Avenue.
The Lindell Railway's Blue Line ran west on Chouteau Avenue from 18th Street to Ewing Avenue beginning in 1864. It originated in the downtown area. A Lafayette Park branch of the Gravois Railway began operating in 1873. It reached its terminus at Lafayette and Mississippi Avenues via a circuitous route over Park, Twelfth, Carroll and 14th streets. These lines were electrified during the 1890's and are now served by motor buses.