The old Marine Hospital located at Marine Avenue and Winnebago Street was one of several hospitals, for the treatment of sick and disabled rivermen, authorized by an act of Congress in 1837. After various delays, the hospital was reauthorized by Congress in 1846, and the site was acquired for about $30,000. The three story building was finally completed in 1855. It was used as a military hospital during the Civil War at which time temporary ward buildings were built adjacent to the main building. An administration building was completed there in 1882. The hospital moved to Kirkwood during World War II and the old buildings were razed. The present Federal Records Center was built on the site in 1959.
The St. Louis branch of the Alexian Brothers, an order devoted to care of the sick and insane, was founded in 1869 by two brothers sent here from Chicago. After a fund raising campaign aided by James H. Lucas, the present site, at 3933 South Broadway, was purchased for $25,000. Alexian Brothers Hospital's first building was opened in 1870 with 20 beds. The institution has enjoyed continuing growth, with substantial additions completed in 1874 and 1890. The dispensary was added in 1925, at which time the 250 bed facility consisted of the hospital, mental sanitarium and clinic. The most recent addition was completed in 1959. The greatest change to take place at the hospital was the admission of its first women patients in 1962. A new building program is presently underway at Alexian Brothers Hospital.
St. Anthony's Hospital had its inception with a small hospital in Carondelet, staffed by Franciscan Sisters in 1873. Its building was destroyed by fire in 1877 and, with no funds for rebuilding, it was abandoned. The Sisters removed to St. Louis and opened St. Pius Hospital at 14th and O'Fallon Streets in 1879. This neighborhood became undesirable in later years and the institution relocated at St. Anthony's Hospital at 3520 Chippewa Street in 1900. A new convent was completed in 1924 and three years later a large five story addition to the hospital was finished on the Arkansas Avenue side of the grounds. Since 1962 there had been discussions about closing the old Victorian Italianate style hospital and removal to a site owned by the Sisters on Highway 21 and Kennerly Road in St. Louis County. The new St. Anthony's Medical Center on the County site was opened early in 1975 and soon thereafter the old building was demolished to provide a 5.6 acre site for a new supermarket.
Lutheran Hospital started in 1858 in two rooms of a house at Carondelet Avenue and Emmet Street. Need for more space required the removal in 1864 to two adjoining houses at Seventh and Sidney Streets, furnishing room for about 40 patients. In 1883 space requirements made another move necessary. The former Christian Lange Mansion on the present site, at Ohio Avenue and Potomac Street, was purchased. Continued growth required additions in 1889 and 1890, the latter being a fireproof wing costing $30,000. The school of nursing was founded in 1898 and in 1916 a nurses' residence was acquired, with a $93,000 annex added in 1944. In 1955 a whole new hospital complex was opened at a cost of $3,900,000, but more expansion was needed so that additional property in the area was purchased. This allowed for a $4,000,000 expansion program beginning in 1965, including a new diagnostic and treatment center and enlargement of several departments. Multi-story structures for a mental health center and a medical office building were constructed. Lutheran Hospital now has 500 beds and nearly 300 nursing students and has become a major medical center for South St. Louis.
The Home for the Friendless, a private home for elderly, impoverished women was founded as the result of a fundraising campaign by Mrs. Joseph Charless in 1853. After securing subscriptions for $13,000 and $20,000 in county bonds, the present site on South Broadway and Osceola Street was acquired. The building had been built for a defunct Swiss Protestant College, to which the home built a 20 room addition in 1880. Several other additions have been made principally during the 1930s.
Several other institutions are to be found in the Marquette-Cherokee area, such as the Booth Memorial (Salvation Army) Hospital on Marine Avenue (built in 1929), the rest home of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at 3439 Gasconade Street (originally built in 1858, with additions in 1908, 1939 and 1962), and the Little Sisters of the Poor home for the aged at Grand Boulevard and Cherokee Street, which was established in 1900.