The older section of this area, north of Meramec Street, contains a high percentage of two and four family flats with some pockets of single family dwellings. Generally, these structures are of brick construction and show an obvious Germanic influence in their architecture. The earliest ones date from the 1870's, while the majority were erected in the period between 1890 and 1910. The riverfront section of the area has a pocket of residential buildings at its north end, east of Broadway from Highway 55 to Chippewa Street. These are primarily multiple dwellings and flats of brick construction, built between 1885 and 1920.
Further south on the east side of Broadway from Mt. Pleasant Street to Bates Street was a fashionable area of large homes overlooking the river from the bluff tops. These dated from ante-bellum times to the turn of the century. Many have been demolished or converted into homes for the aged. Among these are the Gietner, Good Samaritan, Altenheim and Edgewater Homes. The latter was at one time the old Century Boat Club. There is now an apparent trend toward building high rise apartments at the northern end of this row of bluff top buildings. Between Meramec and Bates Streets, east of Grand, the housing stock consists principally of single family houses with a scattering of flats and apartments. Mostly of brick, these were built between 1900 and 1930. A common type of single dwelling seen in this section is a one story, flat roofed, railroad style house with a decorative facade and porch, built from 1900 to 1920.