The earliest educational institution to be located in the area was the Concordia Lutheran College and Seminary. Its first college building was dedicated in July, 1850, after the school moved here from Altenburg, Missouri. The three story building was located on the west side of Jefferson Avenue at Winnebago Street. The old college building was demolished in 1882 and was replaced by a large Gothic structure with a central steeple 136 feet high. The well-equipped building contained class rooms, library, dormitory rooms and a gymnasium in the basement. It could accommodate 200 students. This structure served the college until its removal in 1926 to the present campus on DeMun Avenue in Clayton.
An institution which had its home in this area for more than ninety years was the Catholic Maryville College of the Sacred Heart, located on a 21 acre tract bounded by Meramec Street, Minnesota Avenue, Osceola Street and Nebraska Avenue. This site was purchased in 1864 for $40,000 and the main building was started in 1867 and completed in 1872. It had a frontage of 250 feet and three rear wings, the central one contained the college chapel. It was conducted as an academy for boarding pupils and a parish school for girls in 1882. Maryville removed to a new location in St. Louis County in 1961, at which time the old building was opened as the Augustinian Academy for Boys. This institution was closed in 1972, after which the old building was vacant until it was partially destroyed by fire and demolished in 1973. The site is now occupied by the Maryville Gardens apartment project, with a portion of it used for a new post office branch.
There are two public high schools within the area, Cleveland and Roosevelt, as well as seven elementary schools. Cleveland High School at 4352 Louisiana Avenue was opened in 1915 and was designed by William B. Ittner at a cost of $737,048. A large athletic field located in front of the school reaches west to Grand Boulevard. Roosevelt High School was opened in 1924 at 3230 Hartford Street, occupying the former site of Picker Cemetery. It was designed by R. M. Milligan in English Gothic style.
Shepard School on the west side of Marine Avenue, south of Miami Street was the first elementary school in the area when it was opened in 1859. It was named for an early St. Louis educator, Elihu H. Shepard. The present Shepard School at 3450 Wisconsin Avenue was built in 1905 after designs by William B. Ittner.
The first Garfield School was opened in 1883 at 2612 Wyoming Street at Jefferson Avenue. It was replaced in 1937 by the present school which was designed by Board of Education architects.
The Grant School at 3009 Pennsylvania Avenue was built in 1893 and enlarged in 1902. It replaced the earlier Gravois School at Gravois Avenue and Wyoming Street which dated from 1867.
Another school in the Marquette-Cherokee area which replaced an earlier one was the Meramec School at 2745 Meramec Street. It was opened in 1910 on the site of a previous school of the same name which had been built in 1870.
Other elementary schools in the area include Mount Pleasant at 4528 Nebraska Avenue (1900-1923), Froebel at 3709 Nebraska (1895 with additions in 1900, 1902, 1911) and Monroe at 3641 Missouri Avenue (1899). These schools were all designed by architect William B. Ittner.