A horse car line operating on Carondelet Avenue (South Broadway) was the earliest means of public transit to penetrate into this south side area. Originally the line terminated at Keokuk Street, but later it was extended southward to Carondelet. By 1875, horse car lines were also running on Jefferson Avenue, Gravois Avenue and out Sidney and Arsenal Streets to Grand Boulevard. The network of such lines was extended during the 1880s on other streets in the area and about 1885 the line on South Broadway became a cable car line. The real impetus to development of this area was provided by the electric trolley lines which rapidly spread out through the area on the main streets during the 1890s. Electric car lines were built on South Grand, Cherokee and South Broadway, as well as the original lines of such as the Bellefontaine, Tower Grove, Southhampton, Cherokee, Compton and other car lines. Originally run by separate companies, these lines were unified into the citywide network of the St. Louis Transit Company by 1900. This was a forerunner of the United Railways and later the St. Louis Public Service Company. The car lines were later supplanted by buses.
Traffic flow through this area, as well as other parts of the city was expedited by the program of street widenings and connections made possible by the 1923 bond issue. The widening of Gravois and its connection to South Twelfth Street for through access from the south side to downtown was one of these accomplishments. More recently, the construction of Interstate Highway 55 has greatly accelerated an increasing traffic flow to the South side.