In addition to its theatrical features, Grand Boulevard the midtown area contained several large commercial structure s Among the earliest office buildings were the Metropolitan, bui t in 1908, at Grand and Olive, and the Humboldt at the corner of Washington. Because of the convenience generated by their location at the city's transit crossroads, these buildings acquired offices of many doctors and dentists. They were supplemented by the University Club building in 1915 and the Missouri Theatre building in 1920. The University Club Building at 607 North Grand, designed by Eames and Young, replaced the old George Allen home which had served as the club's quarters for many years.
Largest office structure in the district is the 23 story Continental Building at 3615 Olive Street. Originally built by an insurance company and housing the Grand National Bank on its ground floor, this skyscraper with its aerial beacon has been a midtown landmark since 1930. For many years, it was one of the city's most prestigious office addresses, before falling upon declining economic times. At present it is vacant. At Grand and Delmar is the former Knights of Pythias Building, built in 1928. Later, it was the office building of the Carter Carburetor Company.