St. John's Mercy Medical Center had its origin from an infirmary conducted by the Sisters of Mercy at Tenth and Morgan Streets. When the infirmary moved to a larger building at the southeast corner of 22nd and Morgan Streets in 1871, it became a general hospital named St. John's. Addition wings were added and by 1882, it had a capacity of 150 patients. Its medical service was provided by the nearby Missouri Medical College at 22nd and Lucas. Outgrowing its quarters, the hospital relocated in 1890 at 23rd and Locust Streets, where it remained until 1912. In that year it moved to a much larger building at 307 South Euclid Avenue. It is now located at Ballas and Conway Roads in St. Louis County.
Another hospital which was located in the area was St. Luke's which occupied a building on the northeast corner of 20th Street and Washington Avenue from 1882 to 1904. St. Luke's Association was formed under the auspices of the Episcopal Church in 1866. A building was erected at 13th and Lami Streets, where the hospital was located until 1870 when a move was made to Sixth and Elm Streets. In June, 1873 the hospital moved to a building on the north side of Pine Street near Tenth. By 1874, the institution was debt free and efforts were underway to construct an adequate hospital building. A lot on the northeast corner of 20th Street and Washington Avenue was donated by Henry Shaw and the $41,000 building designed by Barnett and Taylor, was dedicated in May, 1882. In 1899, a training school for nurses was opened and in April, 1904, the hospital relocated to its first building on the present site at 5535 Delmar Boulevard.
The Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital was organized in 1905 under a trust fund established by George D. Barnard. In 1910, a four story building was completed at 3427 Washington Boulevard. It had a capacity of 42 patients. By a vote of its board of directors in 1948, the hospital affiliated with Barnes Hospital following the withdrawal of its laboratory staff to the Washington University Medical School. The merger was approved by a court decision in 1951, after which a new building for the hospital was included in the Barnes complex. The old building is now used by Father Dempsey's Charities as a hotel for indigent men.
The Roman Catholic House of the Good Shepherd occupied a large convent and home for women, on a block donated by Ann Lucas Hunt, from 1852 to 1895. The building bounded by 17th, 18th, Pine and Chestnut Streets also housed the City Hospital for some years after the 1896 tornado. The 18th Street garage is now located there. City Hospital No. 2 was located at 2945 Lawton Boulevard until Homer G. Phillips Hospital was opened in 1938. The Lawton Building formerly housed the old Barnes Medical College and Centenary Hospital.
Among other Catholic institutions in the area was the Loretto Convent and Academy which was located on the northeast corner of Jefferson and Pine in 1875. In 1865, the parish of St. Nicholas was organized and located its church at the northeast corner of 19th and Lucas. It is now located at the northwest corner of 18th and Lucas and is adjoined by a school and community center building which was constructed in 1960.
Worthy of note architecturally is the house at 3630 Grandel Square, which was designed by the architect Henry Hobson Richardson in the late 1880's. Although considerably altered, it still shows the style for which Richardson is well known.
At 3720 Washington is the Beaumont Medical Building named for William Beaumont, early St. Louis army surgeon. The building was erected in 1927 from plans by LaBeaume and Klein, St. Louis architects. Washington and Delmar, east of Vandeventer, have been changing in character for many years from the elegant mansions of yesteryear to the existing blend of commercial and light industrial uses.