The principal hotel on Grand in the area was the Melbourne on the northwest corner at Lindell Boulevard. It was originally opened in 1923 and added a large annex in 1929. Failing as a hotel, it is now known as Jesuit Hall, a residence for the religious faculty of St. Louis University. Architect for the Melbourne Hotel was Preston J. Bradshaw, who also designed the Coronado Hotel at Spring and Lindell. First opened in 1923, the Coronado was enlarged with a taller western section in 1927. It, too, is now a residence hall, Lewis Memorial Hall of St. Louis University.
Lindell Boulevard, on its north side, west of Grand, is graced by a series of noteworthy structures. Until its recent razing, the first of these was the Elks Club at 3616 Lindell. Formerly the home of Peter Lauman Foy, the building was acquired by the Elks in 1908 and had an addition to the rear in 1912. The B.P.O.E. Lodge No. 9 was organized in 1878 in a building at Tenth and Pine Streets.
The Scottish Rite Cathedral, at 3627 Lindell, was designed by William B. Ittner and was dedicated in 1924. A fine example of neo Classic style, the building has a frontage of 235 feet and is approached by a broad flight of steps. Its auditorium, which seats 3000 persons, is notable because no posts obstruct the view. Features are an extremely wide proscenium and a fine organ. The granite and limestone structure was erected at a cost of $2,000,000.
At 3663 Lindell is the former St. Louis Club building, now occupied as district offices of the F.W. Woolworth Company. This French Renaissance style structure was erected in 1899. The club dated from 1886, when it was organized in a building at Locust Street and Ewing Avenue. It was probably the most exclusive club of its time and the Lindell building was expensively equipped. Most of the interior was gutted by fire in 1925, and it was later rebuilt as an office building. The original architects were Friedlander and Dillon of New York and Lawrence Ewald of St. Louis.
Next structure west is the Masonic Temple at 3681 Lindell which was completed in 1926. The three receding stages of the classic style building are symbolic of the three steps in Masonry. The massive structure rises to a height of 175 feet and is constructed of Bedford limestone with gray granite trim. It is noteworthy because of its massive bronze doors and the black and white marble floor patterned with Masonic symbols. Eames and Young were the architects.
A landmark for many years was the Castleman-McKay house at the northeast corner of Lindell and Spring Avenue. This red brick Tudor style residence which dated from the early 1890's, was unfortunately razed a few years ago.
At 3821 Lindell is Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine which was completed in 1912. This brick and tile structure was designed in the Moorish and Arabic style of architecture. It faces Kenrick Garden, which is a triangular park named for Archbishop Kenrick. The park was established by city ordinance in 1896.