An excellent overall view of the Midtown area in 1875 can be obtained from Compton arid Dry's Pictorial Atlas. It shows Grand Avenue running through open fields northward from Park Avenue, crossing Mill Creek on a small wooden bridge and the Pacific Railroad by a grade crossing. Climbing the hill out of Mill Creek Valley, the street ran through a cut where it had recently been opened through the abandoned Wesleyan Cemetery south of Laclede Avenue.
East of Compton Avenue, near Chouteau, were the machine shops of the Pacific Railroad, while on the other side of the tracks, west of Compton, was the Red Stocking Baseball Park. The Pacific Stockyards occupied a wide area on the east side of Theresa Avenue from the railroad to north of Manchester Road (now Market Street).
The block now occupied by St. Louis University was then occupied by the house and farm of George Henderson although the University had acquired it in 1867 for its future campus. Recently opened Lindell Boulevard ran through open fields west of Grand. Three corners of, the Grand and Olive intersection were vacant in 1875, and the horse car line from downtown ended there. The station of the narrow gauge steam railroad to Florissant was located on the west side of Grand, north of Olive Street. The site of the Fox Theatre was a pleasant grove surrounding the McClure mansion. The later location of the University Club was then the Hugh H. Hildreth house and Benjamin O'Fallon resided in a large Victorian manse at Grand and Delmar. The present site of the Missouri Theatre Building was occupied by the St. Vincent Catholic Seminary, a large three story structure surmounted by a cupola.