Mill Creek Area

The Midtown area is primarily commercial and institutional in character, the residential uses being mostly within the Mill Creek area, which was cleared of slums in the 1950's. In addition to the expanded campus of St. Louis University, Mill Creek contains the Laclede Town row houses development, Operation Breakthrough and Grand Towers apartments and the Teamsters Union's Council Plaza project. The latter houses retirees and includes ancillary facilities for their convenience as well as headquarters for the Union. Also within Mill Creek are a newly developed light industrial commercial section south of Market Street, a commercial area on Jefferson Avenue and the Rodeway Inn, Holiday Inn hotels and the Heritage House apartment building.

North of Olive Street, the principal new structure is the Bell Telephone long lines building at 2651 Olive Street. A new bank building for Jefferson Bank occupies the former site of Uhrig's Cave and the old Coliseum convention center.

South of the Mill Creek area is the vast right-of-way of the Daniel Boone Expressway and still further south are the railroad yards and an industrial-commercial area along Chouteau Avenue. Between Chouteau and Park Avenues much demolition has occurred in a deteriorating residential area.

Mill Creek's clearance area is bounded on the north by an aging commercial section along the east-west streets such as Locust, which was the City's "Automobile Row" about fifty years ago, most of the new car showrooms were concentrated along it until the 1930's. Olive Street, which was widened from 60 to 100 feet in 1926-27, contains a mixture of uses, mainly commercial. An outstanding feature is the Berea Presbyterian Church at 3010 Olive, an old church which has enjoyed a renewal of activity because of new Mill Creek housing. Washington Boulevard, which was widened from Jefferson to Grand in 1921, is principally commercial with a few churches scattered along its length. The cut-off at Grand was built as part of the widening, furnishing It I % Midtown with a much needed park space. Delmar, which was widened as a 1923 bond issue project, and Lucas Avenue retain some residential in rooming houses and converted apartments mixed with commercial and light industrial uses. Grandel Square, formerly Delmar west of Grand, was created by the Delmar widening project. Delmar, east of Grand, was formerly Morgan Street.