The Church of St. Stephen Protomartyr was founded in 1926 by Rev. Joseph G. Hoelting. Services were held in a wooden church structure on the site from 1926 until 1931 when a brick church and the present parochial school at 3923 Wilmington Avenue were completed. The present church edifice at 3949 Wilmington was dedicated in 1963 and then the older brick church was converted into classrooms. The Rev. Monsignor Patrick J. Molloy is now pastor of the parish.
Immaculate Heart of Mary parish was founded in 1951 by the Rev. Joseph F. Dwyer, and its first mass was celebrated on August 5th of that year in the chapel of Saints Peter and Paul Cemetery. Construction of the first church and school buildings, in the 4000 block of Blow Street began on June 14, 1952 when ground was broken by Bishop Cody. Since then, a new church has been erected, with the original one remodeled into a parish hall. A rectory, convent and school annex have also been completed. The church is at 4092 Blow Street and Rev. Melvin D. Keaney is now pastor.
Probably the oldest Protestant church in continuous operation in the area is the Kingshighway Methodist Church at Bellerive Boulevard and Colorado Avenue. Its first services were held in 1877 in a tent at Carondelet Square, a small park at South Broadway and Schirmer Street. In colder weather, the group met in nearby Gilbert's Hall. In the next year, the congregation, which had adopted the name of Carondelet M.E. Church, built a frame church at Pennsylvania Avenue and Upton Street. This was used until 1890, when the church moved to a new brick building at Virginia Avenue and Blow Street. About 1915, another move was made to the present location, where a frame church was built at the rear of the lot. A chapel, facing on Kingshighway southeast (now Bellerive Boulevard) was completed in 1916. At that time, the church's present name was adopted, to identify it with the street upon which it was located. In 1926, the present church structure was completed from plans by architects Bonsack and Pearce. The church's former home at Pennsylvania and Upton is now occupied by the Church of the Nazarene.
The Dover Place Christian Church was organized in 1895 at a meeting in a home at 510 Kansas Street. After a revival meeting at the Carondelet Baptist Church, the group held services in the Temperance Hall at Minnesota and Robert Avenues, where the congregation was organized as the Carondelet Christian Church in 1896. After meeting for a year in the small frame hall, the congregation rented the former German Methodist Church at Pennsylvania and Upton, remaining there for four years. Then a former high school building at 6801 Virginia Avenue was purchased as the church's new home in 1901. By 1907, the congregation had doubled in size and the present site at Dover Place and Alabama Avenue was acquired. A small church was opened there on October 25, 1907, at which time the present name was adopted. In 1909, an educational unit was added, and by 1932 growth of the church necessitated a building program. The present Gothic Church, designed by Theodore Steinmeyer, was dedicated on December 17, 1933. It harmonizes in appearance with the older unit on Alabama Avenue and has an auditorium seating 350 persons.
St. Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Church at 7100 Morganford Road was founded on January 29, 1905, as St. Lucas Slovak Lutheran Church, the first of its kind west of the Mississippi. It was organized in the school of old Trinity Lutheran Church on Eighth Street near Lafayette Avenue. During its first two years, the Church was served by seminary students, but on May 13, 1907, its first pastor was called. Desiring a home of its own, the Church moved in January, 1909, to the former "Self-Culture School" building at 1921 South Ninth Street. In 1914, it was learned that the former home of St. Paul Friedens Church at 13th Street and Allen Avenue was for sale, following a merger of that church with the Jesus Church. The St. Lucas congregation purchased the building for S14,500 and dedicated the structure on April 19, 1914. In 1928, the parochial school was opened and the church celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1930. By the 1950's, after many of the members had moved away from the vicinity of the old church, it was decided to find a new location. As a result, the present site was purchased and the new church building was dedicated on May 29, 1955.
Epiphany Lutheran Church, on the northwest corner of Holly Hills Boulevard and Leona Street, held its first services on September 14, 1941, in the assembly room of the Woerner School with an attendance of 184 persons. The first unit of the present church structure was dedicated on November 21, 1948, and the completed church edifice was dedicated on November 11, 1956.
The Grace United Church of Christ was organized as the Grace Evangelical Church at a meeting at the home of a member of the congregation on Thanksgiving Day in 1927. A frame church building on the present site was opened on June 24, 1928, and was later razed to permit construction of the present brick church on the southeast corner of Leona Street and Dover Place. That edifice was dedicated on December 24, 1940, and the adjacent educational building was completed in 1962.
Brandt Memorial Presbyterian Church had its beginning in a building at 4265 Delor Street in 1920, as a mission from Tyler Place Church and is named for Rev. John B. Brandt, the first pastor of that church. Brandt Memorial Church's present early American style building at Rosa and Christy Avenues was completed in 1950 and an educational building annex was added in 1961.
Among other Protestant churches in the area are the Four Square Gospel Church at Morganford and Germania, completed in 1962, the South Side Bible Chapel at Leona and Bowen, Christy Park General Baptist Church, opened in 1961 at 6220 Gravois, the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints at 4095 Loughborough and the South Side Unity Society at 3614 Bates Street. The Seventh Church of Christ Scientist at Holly Hills and Tennessee Avenues was completed in the early 1930's.