By the 1850's, these large land sections had been subivided into smaller tracts owned by Americans and newly arrived German immigrants. This trend was also apparent in the commonfield lots where the original French ownerships began to change.
Subdivision for residential purposes began in the early 1870's in an area southwest of Grand and Loughborough. Among the landholders here were Roswell M. Field, Chris Koeln and James Bowlin. North of Kansas Street, which is now known as Holly Hills Avenue, the chief land activity as in the extension of Central Carondelet and in Mrs. Anne ymond's subdivision. Later platting in this area was in Dover Place in 1894 and Grand-Kingshighway Park, now Bellerive Boulevard, in 1910. West of Grand and south of Bates Street, two major subdivisions in 1923 were Grandover Park, east of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and Holly Hills to the west of it. The latter covered a section bounded by the railroad, and Holly Hills, Leona and Wilmington Avenues. Before 1910, several subdivisions were opened along Gravois Avenue, attracted by the newly constructed trolley car line.
Among these were Helena Place at Allemania Avenue in 1904, Dixie Place at Kansas Street in 1905 and Austria Heights at Loughborough Avenue in 1906. There was extensive platting on both sides of Morganford oad south of Bates Street in the 1920's, in subidivisions uch as Wayne Place, Carondelet Parkview, Gravois Homesites nd South Holly Hills. Further south along Morganford and eastwardly on both sides of the River Des Peres, a major wave of subdividing occurred in the early 1950's. North of he River Des Peres, the principal subdivisions were Morganford Park in 1950, a series of Upton Place additions in 1951-1955 and Granbury Place in 1955. Between the River Des Peres and the City Limits there were several Carondelet Gardens additions, Carondelet Hills, Morganford Gardens and A1-Clare Meadows in 1954-55. The last plat recorded in this area was along Tesson Court in 1964.