West of Twelfth Street, the area around and to the west of Carr Square was developed by the German Protestant residents into a neighborhood of brick houses, built to the sidewalks, with white stone steps and trim. They were in the prevalent Greek revival style of the late 1840's. Later, larger residences were built on Carr Street west of the Square. The house built by C. Bent Carr in 1859, and later occupied by General Daniel M. Frost of the Confederate Army, is a typical example.
To the north of Carr Square was "Kerry Patch", inhabited by Irish immigrants. They built cheap, one room shacks housing at least one family each. The Irish occupied these under "squatters' rights", having no title to the land on which they were built. However, the tract was owned by a sympathetic family of Irish descent, the Mullanphys. The amiable, aggressive Irishmen became police and firemen and involved in politics, producing some well known lawyers, doctors, editors and government figures. The "Patch" has been completely obliterated by public housing, which displaced brick slums occupied by blacks since the 1930's.
A fashionable section during the late nineteenth century was the St. Louis Place neighborhood and the streets west of it, particularly along St. Louis Avenue. This was in the large Union Addition, subdivided in 1850 by John O'Fallon and others and reserving the St. Louis Place strip as a public park. Most of the large residences around the park were built in the 1880's in the then prevailing Victorian style of architecture.
Image - Entrance to Carr Square in 1910