Old North St. Louis


Subdivisions

Following the incorporation of the City of St. Louis in 1822, subdivision activity became evident northward and westward from the city limits by 1830. Beginning in that year with an addition by Biddle and Wash, owners of land north of the present downtown area, such as William C. Christy, John J. O'Fallon, William C. Carr and John Mullanphy, opened subdivisions of their tracts of land up to 1850. Further north, the Thomas Wright Estate subdivision extended the North St. Louis Village area westward in 1848 and in 1850 the large Union Addition by John O'Fallon and others platted streets westward to Jefferson Avenue and northward to Hebert Street.