Old North St. Louis


Railroads and Transit

Industries in the riverfront sector are well served by railroads. These are the Burlington Northern,the Norfolk and Western and the Terminal Railroad Association. Transit operations in the area began in the 1840's when a horsedrawn omnibus line began to run on Broadway from the Courthouse to the north ferry landing. Following the Civil War horse car line tracks were laid on the principal streets in the area running from the business district northward to the Fairgrounds and other northside points of interest. These lines were converted to cable operation in the 1880's and electrified during the 1890's. The electric lines have been supplanted by motor bus lines in more recent years.