Gravois Avenue began as a road to a salt spring and ferry, near present day Fenton, about 1804. It was declared to be the public "road to Fenton" by order of the County Court in 1832. In 1839, an act of the State legislature made Gravois a state road and during the 1840's it was paved with a macadam surface. In 1914, Gravois Road became the first concrete highway in Missouri, when six miles were laid from the City limits to Grant's Farm.
Kingshighway was derived from the French Route de Roi, a designation given to boundary streets of commonfields, in this case, the Prairie des Noyers.
Grand Avenue was so named by Hiram W. Leffingwell in 1850, when he visualized it as a future wide parkway; however it was confined to its present 80 foot width by the County Court. Morganford Road, as its name implies, was the route to a ford of the River des Peres, owned by a man named Morgan It also marked the western limit of the Carondelet commonfield.
Many streets received their names from subdivision developers and land owners. Several streets in Tower Grove Heights derived their names from an insurance company, which was involved in its development. Hartford and Connecticut for the company's home city and state, and Humphrey, named for its president, Humphrey Green. Among the names of land owners perpetuated by street names are those of Adele Tholozan, Fred Beck, Philip Bamberger, Henry Liermann, James Dunnica, John Bingham and George Parker, as well as McDonald, Russell, Phillips and Giles.
Street names directly attributable to the names of their subdivisions are Newport, Beethoven, Ellenwood, Rosa and Goethe.
Several streets are the namesakes of rivers such as Meramec, Potomac, Miami, Juniata and Neosho. Indian names are represented by Winnebago, Itaska, Keokuk, Chippewa and Osceola.
Walsh Street was named for John B. Walsh, the first mayor of Carondelet and Eiler Street is named for an early surveyor of that area. Some streets in the Oak Hill area formerly bore other names, for example, Gustine Avenue was named Endora until 1893, Potomac was Scudder, Spring was Morrow and Bates Street was formerly Pennsylvania Avenue.