While some of the larger tracts were subdivided as early as the late 1850's, residential subdivision in this area actually covered a span of fifty years, between 1880 and 1930. One of the first of these was Tower Grove Heights, bounded by Arsenal, Louisiana, McDonald and Gustine Avenues. Originally platted in 1881, it experienced most of its building activity in the late 90's and the first decade of the twentieth century. Subdivision of the Russell tract began in 1889, with the Oak Hill Improvement Company's addition, followed in the next year by Russell Place. In the western part of the tract, the partition of James W. Russell's estate took place in 1894 and the southern portion was platted as Lucy B. Russell's subdivision in 1912.
Breakup of the Tholozan tract, which extended from Grand to Kingshighway, between Tholozan and Chippewa, started in 1871 with Fred Beck's subdivision. Some later developments in this tract were Oak Hill Heights in 1888, Brandon Place in 1889, and South End Park in 1913.
Residential subdivision activity along Gravois, southwest of Chippewa began about 1905 with the opening of Newport Heights. In the Christy tract, subdividing began with Beethoven Heights in 1906, followed by Newport Place in 1908, Ellenwood Park in 1909, and Christy Park in 1910. During that same period numerous subdivisions were opened south of Delor Street and west of Gravois, including Chester Heights, Humboldt Heights and Rosa Park.
East of Morganford, and north of Bates Street, platting started about 1906 and continued well into the 1920's. After the closing of Hashagen's Park at Grand and Meramec, Grand Boulevard Park and Grand-Meramec Park subdivisions were developed in that area. Hashagen's began as a picnic grounds in the nineties and later became an amusement park with an auto race track, at which time it was known as Priester's Park. It was also the scene of balloon ascensions in the early 1900's. There was very little subdivision activity in the area after 1930, one of the last being Pomona Court in 1942. A large area of apartments was developed in the vicinity of Spring Avenue and Delor Street during the 1960's.