Deaconess Hospital at 6150 Oakland Avenue was founded in 1889 by the Evangelical Deaconess Society of the Evangelical Church, now the United Church of Christ. Its first location was in a large house on Eugenia Street near Union Station. In the early 1890's, a move was made to a former school building on West Belle Place west of Sarah Street, where the hospital had a capacity of 90 beds.
Continued expansion eventually caused the hospital to seek a new site. The present location was acquired in 1928 and the new hospital building was opened in 1930, with a capacity of 225 beds. A new nurse's home was completed in 1941, with an annex added in 1946. A chapel and a new wing on the Clayton Avenue side of hospital were added in 1954, the cafeteria and gift shop in 1966 and new additions to the rear of the original building in 1968. Deaconess Hospital now has a bed capacity of 505 and is about to embark upon a multi-million dollar building campaign, following a decision to remain at its present location in the City.
To the west of Deaconess Hospital is the Forest Park Manor Nursing Home at 6220 Oakland Avenue, which was constructed in 1964.
A historic St. Louis institution in a new setting is the Merchants Exchange, whose new building at 5100 Oakland was completed in 1957. This was the first grain exchange in the United States and was founded in 1836. Its first building was located on Main Street near the riverfront. In 1875, the Exchange moved into its well-remembered structure on Third Street between Pine and Chestnut. This classical building was designed by Lee and Annan and contained a block long trading hall, where civic events such as national political conventions and Veiled Prophet balls were held. It was razed following the Exchange's move to its present building.
At 1210 Macklind Avenue, is the Humane Society of Missouri which was founded in 1870 and occupied quarters on Carr Street Since 1928, the Society has been at its present location, where its existing building was erected in 1958, with an addition in 1965. In the 6600 block of Oakland Avenue was the former site of the Jewish Children's Home, which was occupied by that institution from 1929 to 1961.