The northern section of the Oakland area is served recreationally by being adjacent to Forest Park. Two smaller parks are located in the central and southern portions of the area. Franz Memorial Square at Mitchell and Prather Avenues was deeded to the city as a gift by E. D. Franz in 1915. It covers an area of nearly five acres. Farther to the south is the park at Ellendale Avenue and Arsenal Street, known as the Ellendale-Arsenal Park. It is nine acres in area and was acquired by the city in 1926 in conjunction with the Arsenal Street viaduct project.