Probably the earliest commercial activity in this area was generated by the presence of the Southampton and Cherokee streetcar lines. A small commercial area grew up around the Southampton loop at Macklind and Devonshire Avenues and along Kingshighway south of Chippewa about 1910. Similarly, business uses developed near Gravois and Kingshighway about the same time. Further development along Kingshighway southward from Fyler materialized in the 1930's when the "automobile row" relocated there from its former location on Locust Street west of downtown. A survey in 1974 disclosed that most of the area's residents do their own shopping there and that they appreciated the convenience of the neighborhood shopping facilities.
Another early shopping district was in Lindenwood along Ivanhoe Avenue near Fyler. Since World War II, intensive commercial strip development has occurred along Hampton Avenue, Chippewa Street and Watson Road, largely as a result of nearby residential buildup. A considerable part of this involves drive-in business which has been created by the phenomenal increase in automotive use since the war. Hampton Village is the largest shopping center in the area and probably the oldest one in Missouri. At the time of its development in 1939 by Harold Brinkop, it was unique because it consisted of a single building with off-street parking around the store. Even before Hampton or Chippewa were paved, Brinkop purchased land around the intersection and organized the Boulevard Frontage Company to promote the enterprise. The original Hampton Village Market contained twenty stalls which were leased to farmers and merchants. In 1940, the building was sold to Bettendorf's for use as one of the City's first supermarkets and was expanded in 1942. In 1946, Brinkop built colonial styled store and office buildings on the north side of Chippewa and the west side of Hampton. His one-stop auto age shopping center was an instant success and in 1950, the store and medical center structure on the east side of the large parking area was completed, as was the J. C. Penney store building. A "connecting link" between these buildings was added in 1952. A major change in the center occurred in 1962, when the large discount store building was erected, necessitating the razing of the colonial style structure on the west side of Hampton. In recent years another new store was added, the supermarket was extensively remodeled and the parking area was given a face lift and new lighting. Hampton Village, which has changed ownership twice since 1950, now has 27 stores, 65 offices with 220,000 square feet of floor space and parking for 2,000 cars.
Another sphere of commercial importance surrounds Famous Barr's Southtown store, which was opened in 1951.
Image- The Hampton Village Medical Center.
Image- J.C. Penney Store in Hampton Village.
Image- The Hampton Village Market Store.
Image- Famous Barr Southtown Store at Kingshighway and Chippewa.